Balboa Horizons offers a comprehensive mental health program throughout our continuum of care. Our therapists, counselors, and team are adept at addressing any mild to moderate mental and emotional health issues, and developing an effective treatment plan including therapy and therapeutic groups. A registered dietitian is also available to work with clients, if appropriate.
Therapy Services and Support:
After a thorough assessment, a treatment plan is developed that addresses any mental health issues. Treatment includes therapy services and specially designed groups—Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), EMDR, Mindfulness-based approaches, Family Systems, and experiential activities.
Mental Health Conditions and Disorders Addressed Include:
- Bipolar Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorders
- Complicated Grief
- Dissociative Disorders
- Disturbing Memories
- General Anxiety Disorder
- Pain Disorders
- Panic Attacks/Panic Disorder
- Performance Anxiety
- Personality Disorders
- Sexual and/or Physical Abuse
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Stress Reduction
Evidence-Based Therapeutic Approaches Included:
- CBT – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: A short-term, goal-oriented psychotherapy treatment that takes a practical approach to problem-solving—exploring the connection between clients’ thoughts, emotions, and behaviors in order to change negative patterns of thinking or behavior.
- DBT – Dialectical Behavioral Therapy: A cognitive behavior technique that is effective in treating a wide range of disorders, and includes the teaching of emotional regulation, distress tolerance, mindfulness and interpersonal effectiveness (communications).
- EMDR – Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Studies confirm that EMDR effectively decreases/eliminates the symptoms of post-traumatic stress for the majority of clients. Clients often report improvement in other associated symptoms such as anxiety as well as mood and personality disorders.
- Experiential Therapy: A therapeutic technique in which the client learns how to apply theoretical knowledge to their daily life through activities and experiences such Sociometry, role-playing, expressive arts and creative mediums, therapeutic exercises, and more.
- Family Systems and Family Counseling: Mental health disorders affect not only the person struggling with the disorder but the entire family as well. Effective family counseling addresses and treats the entire family system. Loved ones can also experience burn out when family members are struggling, and family counseling can offer them much-needed resources and support.
- Mindfulness-Based Approaches: Clients learn how to be present at the moment and be in a state of acceptance of what is, which empowers them to make changes.
Intensive Outpatient Mental Health Program:
THRIVE at Balboa Horizons is an Intensive Outpatient Treatment mental health program designed to offer individualized, evidenced informed and culturally sensitive services for people with mental health needs. These services include but are not limited to, individual therapy, group therapy, family counseling, and education on wellness, recovery, and resiliency.
This program offers comprehensive and coordinated services, which address trauma, mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder, anxiety and panic disorder, as well as disordered eating, co-occurring substance use disorder, and other addictive or maladaptive behaviors.
Our clinicians are trained in modalities shown to successfully treat these issues, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), EMDR, Mindfulness-based approaches, Family Systems, as well as collaborative work with a registered dietitian as indicated. As a comprehensive clinical team, we strive to help clients and their families reduce risk factors, increase resiliency, enhance protective factors, and promote individual and relational wellness.
THRIVE helps our clients build a bridge to a successful life with practical life skills including academic and vocational success. THRIVE helps clients manage the stressors that re-entering academic life after mental illness can provide as well as develop the necessary life skills in order to sustain long-term mental health.