Balboa Horizons offers comprehensive Mental Health Treatment throughout the entire continuum of care that we offer. Our therapists, counselors, and team are highly trained and very experienced in addressing moderate mental and emotional health issues.
We will work with you to develop an effective treatment plan which includes individual therapy in addition to therapeutic groups and processes. A variety of specialists are on staff to assist with treating mental health issues including an EMDR therapist (read more about EMDR in the treatment of trauma and PTSD).
Therapy Services and Support:
After a thorough assessment and an analysis of medical history, a treatment plan is developed for each man and woman that will include specific processes for the mental health issues that are presenting themselves.
Some examples of therapeutic processes that are employed in our mental health treatment program include (more information below):
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- EMDR Therapy
- Mindfulness-based activities (ie yoga and meditation)
- Education about Family Systems
- Experiential activities
Mental Health Disorders Addressed Include:
- Anxiety including Social Anxiety
- Trauma including PTSD
- Personality Disorders including Bipolar Disorder
- Eating and Body Dysmorphic Disorders
- Dissociative Disorders
- Pain Disorders
- Panic Disorder
Some Symptoms that are screened for and addressed:
- Disturbing Memories
- Panic Attack
- Performance Anxiety
THRIVE: Our Intensive Outpatient Mental Health Program:
THRIVE at Balboa Horizons is an Intensive Outpatient Treatment mental health program designed to offer individualized, evidenced informed and culturally sensitive services for people with mental health needs. These services include, but are not limited to:
- individual therapy
- group therapy
- family counseling
- education on wellness, recovery, and resiliency.
The THRIVE Program offers comprehensive and coordinated services, which address trauma, mood disorders such as depression and bi-polar disorder, anxiety and panic disorder, as well as disordered eating, co-occurring substance use disorder, and other addictive or maladaptive behaviors.
As a comprehensive clinical team, we strive to help clients and their families reduce risk factors, increase resiliency, enhance protective factors, and promote individual and relational wellness.
THRIVE helps our clients build a bridge to a successful life with practical life skills including academic and vocational success. Participants who elect to pursue academic goals as part of the THRIVE curriculum will learn how to manage the stressors that re-entering academic life will entail, as well as learn to develop the necessary life skills in order to support long term mental health.
More Information about Some Therapeutic Processes Utilized at Balboa Horizon:
- CBT – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: A short-term, goal-oriented psychotherapy treatment that takes a practical approach to problem-solving and explores the connection between clients’ thoughts, emotions, and behaviors in order to change negative patterns of thinking or behavior.
- DBT – Dialectical Behavioral Therapy: A cognitive behavior technique that is effective in treating a wide range of disorders and includes the teaching of emotional regulation, mindfulness and interpersonal effectiveness (communications).
- EMDR – Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing:An interactive therapeutic process using multiple senses which “re-frames” a past experience in a way that allows the patient to process it and reduce its ongoing impact on their life.
- Experiential Therapy: A therapeutic technique through which activities and experiences such as role-playing, expressive arts and creative mediums, therapeutic exercises, and more.
- Family Systems and Family Counseling: Mental health disorders affect not only the person struggling with the disorder, but the entire family as well. Effective family counseling addresses and treats the entire family system. Loved ones can also experience burn out when family members are struggling, and family counseling can offer them much-needed resources and support.
- Mindfulness-Based Approaches: Clients learn how to be present at the moment and be in a state of acceptance of what is, which empowers them to thrive in spite of the stresses of life.