The Future Horizons award winner will receive $2,000 as a scholarship towards tuition and fees at any accredited four-year college or university in the United States. Payment will be made directly to the student’s college or university. In order to be eligible for Balboa Horizons Future Horizons scholarship, the applicant must have been affected by drug or alcohol abuse, either because they are recovering from drug or alcohol use or are the child of someone battling addiction. Applicants can choose to write a 500-1000 word personal essay or submit a video no more than 5 minutes long, about how they have been affected by addiction.
1. College Bound United States Residents Ages 15-25
2. Intend to enroll full-time in a bachelor’s degree program.
3. Applicant must have a personal experience with addiction.
4. You are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a GED
Questions to consider when making a video or writing an essay:
- How has addiction affected you?
- How has overcoming a family members addiction or your own addiction been beneficial in your life?
- How has this made you the person you are today?
- How can you make a difference in the world?
How to apply:
Scholarship applicants can either email or mail in their completed application. Please include all of the following with your application:
- Video or essay answering the questions above
- Copy of your student ID
- A picture of you (headshot preferred)
- School transripts
Deadline to apply: June 1, 2019
We will announce a winner no later than July 1, 2019
Applications by email: [email protected]
Applications by mail:
129 Cabrillo St
Costa Mesa CA, 92627